Friday, November 1, 2013

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Let’s begin by saying that I am Pro-Choice on the Abortion Issue. My reasons for this are very simple. I don’t get pregnant, and I am not willing to adopt any of the millions of children who are already without homes, so I choose to not cast the first stone at those who are Pro-Choice. But, neither do I dismiss the concerns of those who are Anti-Choice. At the same time though, I am not for overturning the Roe vs. Wade ruling which made abortion legal.

Why am I even writing about this? Well, for some unknown reason I receive the e-mails from NARAL, which is some sort of Women’s Rights group. How or why I receive these e-mails is irrelevant; although I wish they would stop sending them as they tend to tick me off. Here’s why.

I just got this one a week or so ago. It concerns the “would be” Governor of Virginia who is Anti-Choice on Abortion. His reasons are that it is comparable to slavery and it is pushing this country towards Civil War. NARAL says you should be infuriated, and to prove it they want you to send them money to stop the plans of this fellow down in Virginia. But they need to bone up on their own history a bit first. 

For starters, they claim he’s nuts for comparing Abortion to Slavery; and I agree. But what they are missing is that Roe v. Wade, which legalized Abortion in America; from sea to shining sea; was decided on the 14th Amendment, the very one which this fellow in Virginia is claiming as the basis for being Anti-Choice. So, the problem for NARAL is this; if the Court’s decision concerning Roe v. Wade relied on reference to the 14th Amendment, how can they now be opposed to the very same Amendment?

In Roe v Wade, the justices found, by a vote of 7-2; Justices White and Rehnquist dissented; and the Court found for Roe and upheld her right to abortion in the first trimester (90 days). The Court stated that the 14th Amendment, in Section 1, contained three references to a “person.”

I thought the findings were correct, but have always believed the decision should have been based on Amendments 4, which gives you the right to freedom from undue search and seizure, and to be secure in your homes; and with the 9th Amendment ceding all rights to you not denied by the Constitution; meaning that they are implied by omission.

So, the views of the “would be” Governor are that a Civil Rights issue; which Abortion is; could set off a conflict not unlike the Civil War, which was the very way in which we got Amendment 14 to begin with. And, if that’s not inconsistent enough for you, the NARAL group is now opposed to the very reasoning by which Roe v. Wade was decided in the first place.

I hope this is clear to you all. Inconsistency is the one thing I have come to expect from my Political leaders and Social advocates. With their minds so firmly set on “winning”, they have lost their intellectual capacity to reason in a consistent manner. And this, I believe, is the biggest threat of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment