Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Trishas - "Give It Away"


I first became aware of this group through a quirk of the wireless internet. Somehow my I-Pod picks up a neighbor’s signal and when I go on to look at You Tube I am already “in”. So, thinking I’m me, I hit “My Favorites” to listen and look at some of my favorite videos. Surprise! The Trishas came up. Now I’m wondering who the #%*@ was screwing with my I-Pod, but I hit play to see what The Trishas are; I mean it could be something cool and sexy, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Well, not only did I get the cool and sexy part, I also got some great music to play in the car.

The Trishas are a musical group comprised of 4 women, all of whom play guitar, mandolin, violin and percussion. In addition, they also write and sing. What more could you ask for?  And to prove the level of talent inherent to this group, I subjected them to my usual “comparison” test. That is, I compared a studio video performance of the same song with a live version. If the live version is better than, or even equal to, the studio version, then I know I’m on to something. Check out these two versions of “Give It Away” and decide for yourself.

Now, I am probably the last person on the planet to hear of these talented women, but that still doesn’t explain why I don’t hear them on the radio, or in movie scores. According to their web site at ;


“When Jamie Wilson, Liz Foster, Kelley Mickwee and Savannah Welch first shared a stage in January 2009, their intention was simply to perform a couple of songs as part of a tribute to Savannah’s father, singer-songwriter Kevin Welch. They had no plans to pursue a joint musical future — they didn’t even have a name, and wound up calling themselves The Trishas on a whim (it popped into their heads because they were covering a Welch-authored Trisha Yearwood hit).”

Well, that’s all I have to say about this fantastic group of performers. Check out their website and schedule. If you don’t see them coming to your area, contact them and tell them Robert at Rooftop sent you.


No comments:

Post a Comment