Friday, August 30, 2013

"Fleetwood Mac" by Dr. Brown (1968)


When I was about 14 this song was one of my favorites. I didn't really think it was about the soda, but I did like to hear it on a summer’s day while knocking back a bottle of Dr. Brown’s Cream Soda. If you've never had one, well, you’re missing out on one of life's treats. It's Kosher, too. By the way, the inverted title is not a mistake, it's a joke.

Cream Soda is somewhat akin to a cola with a shot of vanilla in it. It was a staple of my misspent youth, though I’m sure that, even without it, my teeth would have gone to crap anyway. I was a regular at the “candy store”, and even had a job working at Ruben Arkin’s Luncheonette on Avenue U for a couple of years when I was about 15. Tons of sugar went past my lips.

I was never really a big soda drinker, but somehow, Dr. Brown got to me at an early age with his Cream Soda. Eventually I became a lifelong iced tea drinker; brew it myself; plain water never passes my lips unless I am in the shower. Everything has changed over the years; but cream soda is still basically cream soda. However, you’d be hard pressed to recognize Fleetwood Mac for what they once were.

No comments:

Post a Comment