Saturday, June 15, 2013

"Helter Swelter" - Screen Song (1950)



I used to love these Screen Song cartoons as a kid. They were easily identified by the “bouncing ball” which skipped along with the lyrics on the screen, keeping time to the music. I didn’t know how to read yet, but the bouncing ball would signal me when to go to the next word, or note. 

The first cartoon I remember watching with a “bouncing ball” was the “Glow Worm” song- “Shine little glow worm, glimmer…” made famous by Bing Crosby. There was a cartoon version of it; I’ll have to try and find it to post here.

This cartoon heralds the coming of summer, which will arrive this coming Friday. I probably could have waited a week to post this one, but with school letting out I thought I’d let it rip. Lots of sight gags and one liners in this one before you get to the finale, which is the “bouncing ball” leading the audience in a sing a long of “In the Good Old Summertime”, the old classic from the 1890’s.  Enjoy the cartoon and the change in seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment