Sunday, April 25, 2010

"The Honeymooners" - Timeless Classics

I was watching "Raisin in the Sun" and decided to take a break and enjoy myself for a bit. So I reached for "The Honeymooners", the original 36 episodes, graciously provided to me by my friend J.W.

These shows were so ahead of their time that it always amazes me to watch them again. They continually explored the never changing world of male-female relationships. No kidding, these shows from 1955 and '56 are 55 years old and still relevant to the way men and women deal with one another. The competiveness and jealousies are still there. Some of the issues of womens equality still have not come to absolute fruition.

And that's what makes these shows so timeless. They show us a mirror of ourselves being foolish. Along with Trixie and Ed Norton, Ralph Cramden (much to the chagrin of his wife Alice), continues to pull them all along on his downward spiral of broken dreams. But all the while he manages to maintain their freindship and love.

I needed a break from reading and films, so this was a great pick for me tonite. If you see these at the library , or at the bookstore, they are well worth the price of owning. Since we don't change much in relation to the topic at hand, they are a handy mirror to keep around. Use them to take a look at yourself from time to time. You might be amazed at the bits of who you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment