Friday, April 23, 2010

Something Really Special


I live in a neighborhood with lots of kids. I love to hear the sound of kids playing. I enjoy seeing them in the street doing what kids should be doing; bicycling and playing ball, running races and even chalking up the street with pastel colored chalk. It makes me feel good to know that there are kids like these left. I really thought they were all inside playing computer games!

So, you can imagine how happy it made me when my doorbell rang and I answered it to find nobody there. Looking down the street, I smiled. There was a group of kids walking away from my house. I immediately thought back to all the stuff I did as a kid. Ringing bells and running away. It didn't make me mad, it made me smile. Some things never change...

But here's the surprise - they had rung the bell and then gotten shy and walked away. Having just caught a green tree frog, they wanted to give it to me, knowing how much I enjoy frogs, turtles and lizards. So I was grinning from ear to ear when they made him mine. It was such a treat to be thought of in this way. I'm still smiling as I write this. I just set the frog free in my backyard on some sort of bush. He seems to like it there and even let me take this picture. This is one of the nicest gifts I have ever received.

And by the way, thanks to Shawn and Amber for having such great kids. And thanks to Jordan, Jessica, Mason and their friends for thinking of me in such a nice way.

No comments:

Post a Comment