Friday, April 23, 2010

The Nazi Manhole Mystery

Sometimes you come across an unexpected mystery that makes you want to look further in order to obtain the facts behind what you see. This is a manhole cover photo from Facebook which was forwarded to my daughter, who then forwarded it to me. I live in Concord, North Carolina, and so was appalled to see the name Concord Foundry stamped on it. Turns out that there is a Concord Foundry in New Hampshire as well as a couple of other places. Although the manufacture of most manhole covers takes place overseas, the design has to originate with the customer. In this case it would have been a Public Works project.

I'm not sure if it was meant to mark territory, as with animals (appropriate) or if it is a sign of something more sinister in our midst. I like to think that is an old manhole cover and soon due for replacement. I have not seen the piece in question personally, and am still unsure as to the actual location of it, but I will attempt to find out. If it is local I will go to see it and then ask the local Public Works people about it. When was it installed? Why was the swastika used?

Googling around has provided me with quite an education into the subject of swastikas. I knew that they had been used by the American Indians, the ancient Egyptians and the Romans. But I had no idea about the Hindu connection or the opposite direction the symbol takes. It seems Hitler reversed the Bhuddist version in order to mark the difference more clearly. This photo shows the production of the covers in India. I found it on the web site of a manhole cover manufacturer. The photo was taken by Adam Huggins.

This is the swastika in it's Indian form. I'm not sure what the dots represent. The mirrored version was used in the Vainakh religion as a solar symbol. In Sanskrit the swastika(svástika / स्वस्तिक)) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right or left facing form. There is archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments from the Neolithic era. In the modern day culture of India, it is sometimes used as a decorative geometric design, as well as a religious symbol. It is also still used in Eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. Though it was once a commonly used symbol it has fallen from grace largely due to the Nazi's use of it. It is, in fact, outlawed in Germany today.

There is also a Wilkipedia article on swastikas which explains some associated mathematical significance. Apparently the swastika was not always a symbol of hate and oppression. But somehow that seems irrelevant in a world mutilated by the Nazi's unprecedented use of this symbol to kill millions. Who would want this mark on their products? Who can justify, or excuse, the pain and suffering and loss of life associated with it?

Apparently you can order manhole covers with whatever design suits you. These covers are from a Japanese manufacturer's website. Some are really intricate and beautiful. But somehow the swastika pattern just doesn't do it for me. Of course one can rationalize that a sewer cover is the appropriate venue for this symbol of oppression and it's adherents.

13 comments:

  1. Doesn't answer the question.... why and when? I am familiar with its ancient meanings and symbolism, but when I passed by this in downtown I was appalled. Basically if they start banning Confederate flags from state buildings for reasons other than what the flag stands for, why are images like this left in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the picture of the manhole cover in Kannapolis, NC. It is in a neighborhood off of Dale Earnhardt Blvd. I have a company that does sewer system evaluations and surveys. We were inspecting manholes for the City of Kannapolis when we came across a whole section with these manhole covers. These covers were made in Sweden between 1900 and 1925, who used this backward emblem as their logo. The toe you see is the homeowner who came out to see what we were doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the backstory to this! I am amazed that this post keeps on generating interest. Very cool that you were able to trace it back. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I just noticed one here in Concord, NC. Thanks for the background info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ask the city that would be the WORST thing ever... I'm staying anonymously but I'll tell you from my personal experience in law, politics, and corporate business.. honestly "borrow the manhole with out return, cough cough wink wink".. As soon as you notify the city, they will be FORCED to remove it, in that because of State control of paperwork it will be sent to a scrap yard. The city CAN NOT sell you nor can they give you this manhole, nor can they donate it, it has to be SCRAPPED BY LAW! Scrap Yards ARE NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to sell you anything once it hits their property. If your State does not have this in effect it soon WILL. As far as I know and am told, 46 States HAVE this in effect. I use to scarp and restore many things, I also have the ONLY HOUSE in the WHOLE state of Ohio to purchase and own my gas meter WHILE ITS IN SERVICE for historical purposes, took 8 months of paperwork, and little over a year battle to do it.. I know the ropes, bells, and whistles when it goes to law and corporations and scrap. SOMEONE JUST PLEASE "BORROW WITHOUT RETURN" THIS MANHOLE BEFORE ITS GONE FOREVER!!!! If you mention it to the city, your full blown retarded as you just signed its goodbye ticket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also one in Concord in the Gibson Mill complex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing its still there. Kind of a relic. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. Curious. How did you find the article and this site? Glad you did, just always amazed that people do. Merry Christmas and I hope you get this message! 🎅

      Delete
    2. It's the last one the complex or so I'm told. I always wondered the orgin of it and using my hacker man skills (hours of googling) I found this post.

      Delete
    3. Was just at Gibson Mill today and it was still there. I was surprised to see that on a manhole cover here in 2021.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back in 1995. I walked to concord middle down Anne st. I noticed these. Perhaps these covers were made with metals from Germany in the 30s

    ReplyDelete