Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paolo Nutini

If you have not been aware of this Scottish born singer-songwriter then you have been missing out on some of today's most poignant lyrics and powerful music. Born in Paisley, Scotland in 1987 this artist combines the looks of Jim Morrison with the phrasing of Mick Jagger. Add to this his unique ability to construct the most complicated songs using the most basic of chords and you've got Paolo Nutini.

His first album, "These Streets", was released in 2006 to much acclaim. The title track is the story of his journey to a new home away from Paisley and how it felt to be a stranger in a new town. With only 5 chords he manages to convey all of the loneliness involved in moving on to a new life. This is the link to the live version; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIKGLqIitI

The biggest hit off that album was "Last Request", which reached Number 6 in England. I first became aware of this artist about 2 years ago while watching Austin City Limits on PBS. Do yourself a favor and hit him up on You Tube. As with most of his music, the live versions are best. They showcase his abilities outside of a studio. The best version of "Last Request" is the one of him sitting beneath a tree in a park. You can actually hear the birds in the tree as he sings. This is the link for that live version; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZgxmxm32k

Among the most dazzling of the songs on that record is "Rewind" which was recorded slowly and with much passion. I was so surprised to see this video of the same song played live at Borders- the book store. For some reason he elected to do the song that day with a Reggae beat and it gives a whole new dimension to the song. It's at; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIKGLqIitI

His second, and latest album, "Sunnyside Up", was released in 2009 and contains the insistent and throbbing song "Candy." The video for this one is located at;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZgxmxm32k

I was perched outside in the pouring rain
Trying to make myself a sail
Then I'll float to you my darlin'
With the evening on my tail
Although not the most honest means of travel
It gets me there nonetheless
I'm a heartless man at worst, babe
And a helpless one at best

Darling I'll bathe your skin
I'll even wash your clothes
Just give me some candy, before I go
Oh, darling I'll kiss your eyes
And lay you down on your rug
Just give me some candy
After my heart

Oh I'm often false explaining
But to her it plays out all the same
and although I'm left defeated
It get's held against my name
I know you got plenty to offer baby
But I guess I've taken quite enough
While I'm some stain there on your bedsheet
You're my diamond in the rough

Darling I'll bathe your skin
I'll even wash your clothes
Just give me some candy
before I go

Oh, darling I'll kiss your eyes
And lay you down on your rug
Just give me some candy
After my heart.

For those ambitious ones that want to play this song, the chords are quite simple. (Am Em G D/D7) The key to playing his songs is in the phrasing of his voice. His cadence sets the beat. Great stuff. I hope you'll take a look. Paste the links into your search engine and turn up the volume. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment