Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"My Lament" - With Apologies to Edvard Munch


Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream" is one of the world's most recognizable works of art. It depicts a man trying to silence the voices in his head. He is, of course, going about it in the wrong way, merely locking those voices inside. I have used this iconic painting here to illustrate my own feeble attempts to block out all of the voices of the "talking heads" on TV and radio. I actually wrote it after reading the morning paper. This painting is very special to many people, and as such, I hope that I have not upset anyone with my use of it here.

The places I’ve known, and people I’ve seen,
Have cast all that I’ve learned in a terrible sheen.
Disruption, corruption, it’s all a bad scene,
Promulgated by the Bad Dream Machine.
Bipartisan politics, with no in between,
Can make even the healthiest of people turn green.

They call some states red, color other ones blue,
But I like mine neutral, so what should I do?
When they cast all our futures in a horrible hue,
The resulting malaise sticks just like glue.
As you forge on ahead to determine what’s true,
They turn it around and blame it on you!

So, call me a cynic, or call me a liar,
But they’ve set it all up for a big funeral pyre.
And while we’re not looking and they start the fire
The flames will go licking, higher and higher.
With smoke that obscures the thugs- all for hire,
There is no escaping an ending so dire!

No comments:

Post a Comment