Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Turtle In the Morning

Just when you think that nature is losing the battle to survive, something happens to give you hope. I live in a typical development, you know the type, 10 feet either side of my house is another house. To create this scenario a large tract of land was cleared and graded. When they were done, there was nothing left, not even a bird. So, it's really a wonderful treat to walk out for my morning paper and see this fellow, sunning himself on my lawn.

He was headed toward the road, intending to cross it in order to reach the creek behind the other row of homes there. He wasn't shy at all, even allowing me to pick him up and gaze into his trusting turtle eyes. I photographed him from every angle, but I like this shot best. Something about it implies communication. He's looking at me, and I'm looking at him. I went back inside to eat, but had to keep getting up to go out and see what progress he had made on his journey.

After about 20 minutes he had reached the side of the road. He was headed in the right direction for the creek, but I was worried about his crossing the street. During the day he has a good chance of making it, but at 8 o'clock in the morning, with everyone leaving for work, crossing the street can be a hazardous undertaking for a turtle. So, I lifted him up, giant that I am, and took him across.

Placing him on a neighbors lawn I pointed him toward the creek. He needed no coaxing from me. His instincts told him to follow the downward grade toward his destination. And 10 minutes later, when I went back to check on him, he was gone. Some of the most beautiful things in life are fleeting moments - and the slow amble of a turtle crossing my lawn on a muggy summer morning is one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment