Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Conundrum of Tolerance

I wasn’t going to weigh in on this one until my intelligence was insulted by the drivel in the media concerning the recent events surrounding the “Imams” being denied service aboard a major airline. The insult to my "limited" intelligence, having been pre-determined by the media and many of the “knee-jerk” crowd, consists of telling me that I am politically incorrect in showing concern about Muslim clerics aboard a plane. These transgressions are based on “facts”, as reported by the media, and then regurgitated as gospel by those who place such trust in the “news.”

The first thing I’m told is that none of the 9/11 hijackers were dressed in Islamic garb. This is true. And I want you to remember that.

Now, throwing all politically, and apolitically views aside, let us examine the situation concerning tolerance. When I was a boy I frequently went to church with my Dad, and on occasion, with my Aunt and Uncle. I am Jewish and when in the presence of God, or in his house, I am commanded to cover my head in respect to God. But in church, I removed my hat.

When my Dad would go to temple with me, he would, likewise, cover his head, with either a yarmulke, a hat, or on occasion, his hand. So, this is my frame of reference concerning tolerance.

Tolerance doesn’t have anything to do with who’s right or wrong, or what the other fellow’s belief system might be. It all comes down to being sensitive to the feelings of others. That is what should guide us all in our daily actions.

But this latest complication, where Muslim clerics wearing their traditional garments, and through no fault of their own, have the ability to frighten other passengers, is a true conundrum.

Now remember, NONE of the 9/11 hijackers were wearing traditional Islamic dress. This, as I’ve said, is true. They were disguised as one of us. That’s why we get searched.

So, remember, that ALL Islamic’s who dress traditionally are not plotting to kill us. But, by the same token, never forget that the man who sent out the disguised radicals to kill us WAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment