Friday, August 17, 2012

Reflections at the Vance Hotel


This photo is an optical illusion. I took it the other day while Sue and I were driving through Statesville. We were coming down Route 115, headed south, when we stopped to look at the old Vance Hotel. It has been recently purchased by the City of Statesville, after sitting empty for several years, but I’m not sure what the plans are for its use. I have previously posted about this hotel, about 2 years ago, when they were selling various artifacts from the rooms. Sue and I purchased a vase which had graced the mantel in the Presidential Suite where Ronald Reagan had stayed during his visit in the 1980’s.

The picture was taken from outside, looking in, and the red building you see in the background is actually behind me. It’s the old Statesville City Hall, which now houses the Zoning and Planning Department for the city. I spent many a day in that gothic looking structure, pulling permits for different jobs in Iredell County. I have always loved the way it looked and thought that this was a perfect opportunity to get it in the same photo as the bird. I was surprised that it came out so well.
Here is a picture of that same building, taken simply by turning around, albeit from a slightly different angle.



No comments:

Post a Comment