Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Huguette Clark - Peace at Last


Huguette Clark, the copper heiress who became the center of a media frenzy, and who's estate came under state investigation last year, has died. I was going to take the day off from posting, though I do have something about the Battle of Malta, which took place 500 years ago this week. It was a pivotal battle, one which has had repercussions that last to this very day. But I'll get to that tomorrow.

I became aware of Ms. Clark, who has not been photographed for the last 70 years, like everyone else, when she became the object of a media investigation into her whereabouts. There was also some question as to whether she was really alive at all, and allegations that her death had been covered up for the benefit of her accountant's and attorney's. I couldn't keep my eyes off of the story. It had that Howard Hughes aura about it.

Here was a young woman, born into financial wealth and luxury on the scale of today's biggest media stars, who simply disappeared. Known to be extremely shy, she avoided the media, and a social life, for the sake of that privacy. She actually died under a phony name, in a room that didn't officially exist. What drove her to such an extreme way of living; pardon me, what made her choose to not live at all?

Her last days were reportedly marked by failed eyesight, poor hearing, and at times a disinterest in eating. She was 104- and would've been 105 on June 9th. I don't feel sorry for her, but I do for that little girl in the photo, who would never go on to live the dreams that you can see in her young eyes...

See also;

http://getlitsf.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment