Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Alone in My Home" - Jack White (2014)


Jack White is one of those rare musicians who influences so many other musicians yet never seems to have a big hit for himself. Other people have the hits with his songs, or even; as in the case of Loretta Lynn; with his superb abilities as a producer as well as a performer. Sort of like what Rick Rubin did for Johnny Cash. This live performance on Conan O’Brien’s show highlights all of those skills plus his ability as a writer to really hit the heart of the matter in a song.

I can’t figure out whether I like the music best, or whether it’s the lyrics. But then again it’s probably the performance itself which caught me by surprise. The white make-up; the unusual mixture of the instruments; the violin part; all come together in this number, making it impossible for me to ignore. (The studio recording also has a great piano part, which sounds slightly off but adds something of it's own to the song.)

After listening for several days it was impossible for me to stay uninvolved with the recording. The song is very simply composed; and can be played using the basic chords of E A and D. It’s the rhythm that takes a few tries in order to make the words flow as smoothly as they seem to come from Mr. White’s mouth. (I’m still working on that.)

The lyrics are really hauntingly beautiful, reflecting some of my own feelings about issues of trust. I especially like the verse about the ghosts; he paints them as opportunists who know exactly how to haunt him, even though they may not exist. Mr. White knows better. The ghosts are the products of our own insecurities, which in turn gives the non-existent “ghosts” the power they seem to have. Just as with Jacob Marley, we each forge our own links one at a time.

Anyway, you've seen him with the Rolling Stones; on late night TV; and heard him on the radio. Now, with this appearance on Rooftop Reviews, Jack White has finally made the big time.

“Alone In My Home”
(Jack White)

This light that shines on me tonight
Turns on when you wander through my door
And your friends won't see you to the end, I'm sure
But you love them anyhow

Lost feelings of love
Lost feelings of love
That hover above me
Lost feelings of love
Lost feelings of love
That hover above me

The ghost that visit me the most, drop by
Cause they know they can find me here
And they claim to be held from me in chains, but come on
They're guilty as sin my dear

I'm becoming a ghost
Becoming a ghost
So nobody can know me
I'm becoming a ghost
Becoming a ghost
So nobody can know me

These stones that are thrown against my bones, break through
But they hurt less as times goes on
And though alone, I build my own home, to be sure
That nobody can touch me now
Yeah

All alone in my home
Alone in my home
Nobody can touch me
All alone in my home
Alone in my home
Nobody can touch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment