Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Moose From Thanksgiving Past

I was kind of startled yesterday when I saw this image on MSN.com about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. You might wonder why. And there is a simple answer to that question; I was there, at the parade shown on the left. The one with Bullwinkle the Moose from Rocky and His Friends. It was 1966, so I was 12 years old, according to the date stamped on the border of my own photograph, which is printed below. I actually posted it here a few years ago for the holiday.

My Uncle Irving used to take us from Brooklyn to Manhattan every Christmas for the Christmas Pageant at Radio City Music Hall. This always included a live Camel, and some Sheep. The magic moment always came when the stage lights turned blue, heralding the arrival of the baby Jesus. Whether, or not you are a Christian is not relevant at all, it is simply a magnificent presentation. And I was always amazed at my Uncle's reaction to it, as he was Jewish. He would quietly sob, taken by the emotion of the moment. But, I am straying.

In 1966, for whatever reason, he asked me to meet him in Manhattan, for the Macy's Parade, and so I did. That's when I took this picture of Bullwinkle, which I still have, obviously. Thanksgiving then was always a day for family; in our case it was just the 4 of us and Uncle Irving. It doesn't seem like such a big thing to remember, but I do. And, on holidays, I tend to think of Uncle "I" more than usual. Over the years I have come to realize that, on all occasions in our home, he was the star attraction. He was the one that never yelled at my brother and I, never judged us, never discouraged us. His memory is the one thing I will never relinquish from my childhood. And, when I give thanks today, his memory will be one of the many things I am thankful for.

I started out just wanting to wish everyone a very Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving. But, I tend to wander a bit. If you can't be with family, I hope you find yourself in the company of some good friends. And, with so much going on to divide us - let's take this one day to be thankful for the things we have in common, as well as our common needs.

Have a wonderful, and safe holiday. Make a memory with someone, about someone, or for someone. You may never get to know it, but they will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment