Tuesday, January 16, 2024

"My Own Peculiar Way" - Willie Nelson (1998))


I awoke briefly at 4:30 AM this morning thinking of the line "I love you in my own peculiar way." It's from the Willie Nelson song of the same name and appeared on his first studio album in 1962. It was re-recorded in 1969 on his 9th album named "My Own Peculiar Way" in 1969, with Jerry Reed and Charlie McCoy on guitars. That album was also the first on which he used his signature Martin N-20 guitar. 
Some people wonder about that guitar. The best explanation is in his autobiography where he describes how that guitar came to be, and why it has that extra hole in it.

"I switched over to a big Baldwin hooked up to an aluminum amp. When the neck broke, I traded it in for a Martin made of rosewood, an acoustic model with the richest, most soulful tone I’d ever heard. I had my man Shot Jackson, a guitar genius in Nashville, customize the Martin by integrating the guts and pickup from the Baldwin. It worked. I had the sound I was looking for. I heard it as a human sound, a sound close to my own voice. Didn’t take long for me to pick a hole in it. That’s ‘cause classical guitars aren’t meant to be picked. But that hole...seemed to deepen its soulful tone."

This video is from the album "Teatro", which was recorded in September of 1998 in the old movie theater in Oxnard, California. That album was his 45th. This is my favorite version of the song.

The musicians featured in this video are as follows;

Willie Nelson – Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar.

Bobbie Nelson – (Willie's sister) Wurlitzer electric piano, organ.

Emmylou Harris – Background vocals.

Daniel Lanois – Producer, Gibson les paul, bass guitar.

Tony Mangurian – Drums, percussion.

Victor Indrizzo – drums, percussion.

It would be a comfort just to know you never doubt me
Even though I give you cause most every day
Sometimes I think that you'd be better off without me
Although I love you in my own peculiar way

And don't doubt my love if sometimes my mind should wander
To a suddenly remembered yesterday
'Cause my mind could never stay too long away from you
I'll always love you in my own peculiar way

And though I may not always be the way you'd have me be
And though my faults may grow in number day by day
And though I'll never say that I've ever been untrue
I'll always love you in my own peculiar way

And though I may not always be the way you'd have me be
And though my faults may grow in number day by day
Let no one ever say that I've ever been untrue
I'll always love you in my own peculiar way
I'll always love you in my own peculiar way

No comments:

Post a Comment