Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"You Can't Get a Man With a Gun" - Betty Hutton (1950)


This scene, from the film version of "Annie Get Your Gun", is a wonderful example of the exuberance with which Betty Hutton performed. Her facial expressions, as well as her over exaggerated moves, both served to bring across; with verve; whatever musical number she ever performed. I have featured Ms. Hutton on here before, and was surprised at the amount of interest she still generates. Though she passed away in 2007; her videos and recordings will allow her to live forever in the hearts of her fans. And, in case you haven't guessed, I'm one.

The video below, which I have posted before, is of Ms. Hutton performing one of my favorite songs of all time; Hoagy Carmichael's buoyant, "Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief." This was also one of the very first records I actually remember playing on a phonograph. It was one of my Mom's 78 RPM acetates, and I was about 3 years old at the time. I suppose my attraction to the record was due to the war whoops employed by Ms. Hutton as she sang her heart out while putting across the vivid lyrics written by Mr. Carmichael. I'm not sure if the song is "politically correct" any longer, but then again, I really don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment