Thursday, December 8, 2011

"Dirty Old Town" by Ewan MacColl (1949) as Performed by The Pougues



I first heard of this group while watching an episode of "Rescue Me". The video is stunning, in that it reflects the Ireland we have all read about in the McCourt brother's books, from "Angela's Ashes" and "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt, to Malachy McCourt's "A Monk Swimming". The Ireland depicted in those books is evident in this wonderfully poignant song about resignation and rebellion. The visual effect of the lead singer, lends credence to the hard life which the McCourt Brothers both reference in their respective memoirs.

The song speaks of a working class youngster enamored of his true love and the town in which they met. He finds beauty in both. Yet, another part of him longs for something better; not only for himself, but also for his true love.

The song was made popular by The Dubliners, and most people tend to think of the song in regards to Ireland. In fact, though, the song was written by Mr. MacColl in reference to the Northern English industrial town of Salford, which is located in Lancashire. The line "Smelled a spring on the smoky wind" was originally written as "..a Salford wind", which did little to endear the song to the town council, who then persuaded Mr. MacColl to change the lyric.

In Ireland the song is thought to be about Dublin. Most listeners, particularly those in England, are surprised to hear that the song was written by a man from Lancashire, who was also of Scottish descent. Reminiscent in a way of "Factory Girl", by the Rolling Stones, this is a truly moving song.

"Dirty Old Town" by Ewan MacColl (1949)

I met my love by the gas works wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal
I Kissed my girl by the factory wall
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

Clouds are drifting across the moon
Cats are prowling on their beat
Spring's a girl from the streets at night
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

I Heard a siren from the docks
Saw a train set the night on fire
I Smelled the spring on the smoky wind
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

I'm gonna make me a big sharp axe
Shining steel tempered in the fire
I'll chop you down like an old dead tree
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

I met my love by the gas works wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal
I kissed my girl by the factory wall
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

No comments:

Post a Comment