Saturday, October 8, 2011

On Turning 57, Heinz, Andy Warhol and Me.


Today is, once again, my birthday. Not a landmark one, like say, 50 or 60, but still a step further down the road. And how is life at 57 years old? Not bad, not bad at all.

I have been retired, on Disability, for 2 years now, due to some health issues. But generally, in the broader sense of how I feel about myself at 57, I feel pretty good. I am at peace with just about any issues I may have had with anything that really mattered in my life; my 3 children are grown, and have struggles of their own to contend with; and I have 4 beautiful granddaughters. My wife and I have settled imto the comfortable portion of 25 years together; both fully aware of one another's strengths, and weaknesses, and smart enough not to exploit that knowledge. In short, there's not too much to complain about.

So, please accept this Heinz bottle, in the advant-garde spirit of Andy Warhol's "Campbell's Soup Cans", and have a great birthday for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment