Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Sad and Blue" by Melvern Taylor



This is one of my favorite songs, and videos, by Melvern Taylor. The unrequited love aspect, explored through lyrics such as "gas staion roses and some screw top wine", touches me for some unknown reason. Maybe it's because I've been there and done that. What makes any song worthwhile? The connection of the lyrics to your own reality? Or just the poignant beauty of the words strung out so plaintively over the music? I don't know. But ever since I first heard this song in 2006, it has become a part of me.

"Sad and Blue" by Melvern Taylor

Sad and blue
I've never known no one as lost as you.
Wandering aimlessly the way you do,
Darlin' you astound me

Valentine, paper hearts
that wish that you were mine.
Gas station roses and some screw-top wine,
Darlin' I'm just wastin' time.

And it don't matter if you break my stupid heart
I've got no place else to go.
And it don't matter if you break my stupid heart
I've got no place left to go.

www.melverntaylor.com/music.html

1 comment: