Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween - Trick or Treat!

Happy Halloween to everybody. The Trick or Treating began at 6 and went on until 8. We had all sorts of ghouls and goblins. We even had some politicians and super heroes as well. Halloween is so much different now then when I was a kid. Gone are the days of "egging" passing cars and "chalking" the stoops of the folks who didn't answer the door. The kids now are almost always accompanied by adults. Too many "Nightmare On Elmstreet" movies I suppose. Today's parents tend to think that there is a real Freddy Krueger lurking behind every door.

When I was about 3 years old the TV station used to broadcast "The Wizard of Oz" every Halloween. And let me tell you, those Flying Monkeys scared the hell out of me! Come to think of it, they still do...

Some things never change, while other traditions come and go. Halloween seems to be here to stay. And I like that. The kids get to use their imaginations, and the adults get to have a bit of fun. Some of the grownups come along with their kids dressed as Stripers, Klondike Dance Hall Girls, French Maids and an assortment of titillating costumes. The men are usually dressed as, hmmmm.... I guess I'm too busy looking at the French Maids and the Klondike Girls. I wasn't going to dress up as anything this year, but at the last minute I opted to be a Human Pumpkin, as evidenced by the shirt I am wearing.

So, to all of you who are trick or treating, as well as those that are giving out the candy, Happy Halloween! Have a good one, a safe one and have some extra candy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment