Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Math

Not too long ago I was at the checkout in my local supermarket. I used my Debit Card to pay the bill and wanted some “cash back.” The bill was $37.67 and I wanted change to make the total $50 even. I swiped my card and punched in the code and selected “yes” for Cash back. I then quickly entered the $12.33 I wanted back in change.

The astonished cashier, a young woman about 19 years old, looked at me and said “How did you figure that out so quickly?” Without missing a beat I quickly replied, “I am so old that I have memorized all of the possible combinations of numbers.” With a look of complete awe she responded, “Wow, that’s really great!”

So I was not too surprised when I received the following e-mail, one of those forwarded things that I usually find annoying. I cleaned this one up a bit- it was kind of political in nature, although the general message is the same. We have been “dumbed down” as a society. The basic things we took for granted as part of a general education have been supplanted by newer ways of thinking. This reminded me of the “new math” we were taught in elementary school, and which, by the time I was raising my own kids, had been replaced by “newer math.” This is a funny recap of the last 50 years of teaching basic math;

1. Teaching Math In the 1960’s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In the 1970’s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In the 1980’s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In the 1990’s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number which represents his profit.

5. Teaching Math In the Early 2000's
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2010
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your neighbor's property. It's OK anyway because it’s a redistribution of wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment