Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"Just a Closer Walk with Thee" - Patsy Cline (Live)


For a Jewish kid I sure love gospel. There is nothing like careening down the road; or up one for that matter; on a blind curve singing about Jesus and just feeling good. Like I said, for a Jewish kid this is probably not quite kosher; or normal.

My love for the music comes from 2 places; the transistor radio I constantly had at my side; especially at night; and the history I read about slavery and the Negro Spirituals. Those 2 things are the most to blame for my passion for gospel music. Plus it just makes you feel really good.

Hank Williams took gospel to a whole different level; as did James Brown and Jerry Lee Lewis. It morphed into rhythm and blues and then rock and roll. But it all began with the gospel music. And gospel music came from the African-American Diaspora; which began in Africa when the first slave was either abducted or sold into slavery.

The ancient rhythms and chants of the slaves became the field hollers and spirituals of the Caribbean plantations, and later the pre-Civil War Era. During Reconstruction the music spread up the Mississippi River; with each port adding its own flavor.

But all that has little to do with this song and Patsy Cline. Not sure what year this is from, but it is obviously the audio from a radio show in the late 1950’S. Patsy Cline performed this song a score of times on the radio; and even on television. There was just one hitch; she did it differently each time. Sometimes slow; sometimes fast. Blues; or up tempo. This was her true artistry as an interpreter of songs. And this version is one of my favorite gospel songs.

Just a Closer Walk with Thee

I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee

Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be

When my feeble life is over
Time for me will be no more
Guide me gently, safely over
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore

Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be

No comments:

Post a Comment