Friday, March 16, 2012

"Sky King" with Kirby Roberts and Gloria Winters (1951)

I don't know whose idea it was to re-release this old staple of early television, but I'm glad they did! I haven't seen an episode of “Sky King” since I was about 5 years old in 1959. The shows were originally filmed in the early 1950's; these 4 episodes are amongst the earliest.

For those unfamiliar with, or deprived of the pleasure, “Sky” King was the nickname of Schuyler "Sky" King, played by Kirby Grant. Along with his ponytailed niece Penny, played by Gloria Winters, and their plane "Songbird", a Cessna 310-B, the duo patrol their vast ranch in Arizona, as well as help out the local sheriff when he is attempting to catch one of the "bad guys". Nothing beats a car like a plane, and the two are continually swooping down to rope one in. When not catching bad guys, the duo are helping to rescue people lost in the desert or in need of quick transfer to medical facilities located faraway.

So, last night I took a trip back in time; 52 years in fact; to when I was 5 years old, the good guys wore white hats, and always won. My only regret at seeing this show re-released is that I will never win at Trivia again when the question comes up concerning the name of “Sky King's” plane! It seems that I was the only one who remembered it. I once actually won $10 bucks in a "bar bet" concerning that very question.

No comments:

Post a Comment