Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Newspapers - Forums for Exchange

This is why I love newspapers. Ever since the first one rolled off the press several hundred years ago, people have been exchanging ideas and learning from one another. A large amount of this interaction has taken the form of "Letters to the Editor" - or in the case of the Charlotte Observer, the "Forum."

Last Sunday I read a Letter to the Editor with which I totally disagreed. Sitting down at my computer I tapped out a few words in response. Yesterday morning my letter appeared and I got to have my say. This is what it's all about, an exchange of opinions and ideas. No rancor or disrespect. Just two people differing, yet respecting, one another's opinions.

I called Mr. Kniegge last evening to let him know that while I do not agree with his opinion, I certainly respect it. He was unavailable and I spoke with Mrs. Kniegge. She assured me that they both felt the same way about it. And that was so comforting, to hear a voice of reason while all around us the Powers That Be do their best to pit us against one another. Lincoln said it best, "A house divided cannot stand."

Mr. Kniegge is a rare example of the ability to agree to disagree without rancor. The principles on which this country was founded will remain in force only as long as people like he and I can show tolerance for one another. Even when we disagree. Once again, it's all about respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment