Saturday, March 2, 2024

"Hill Country Girl" - Will Kimbrough (2010)



Corn flower blue were her eyes and her hair
Spinning gold in the hot summer wind.
Soft were the words which she used when she told me
She wanted to still be my friend.

I said don't misunderstand me
She said I don't as she turned
Into the haze of the twilight and walked
down the road without shame or concern.

Her name was Martha and her mama died
the year before, she'd been sick for awhile.
I helped her Daddy that summer with work
on the farm, she was shy with her smile.

One night we talked until sun up
The next night we kissed until the dawn
These days I dream of my Martha
'til daylight comes hard now that Martha is gone.

Her daddy was quiet like men get to be
But his eyes said he knew everything.
One afternoon he put his arm round my shoulder
And said don't get hurt son you're still green.

That night I asked her to marry,
she laughed out loud until she wept
She said you saved my heart with your kindness and comfort
and care but I will not be kept

Some say she ruined me forever
Left me heartbroke and stubborn with pride.
Some say she made me the loner I am
I say her memory keeps me alive.

Now I keep up with her as she moves through the world
With a grace I admire from afar.
From Austin to Nashville to LA and back
to the farm in her dirty old car.

Her eyes are still my horizon
and her smile still a fine rope of pearls.
I can't  help it I guess though it's made me a mess
I'm in love with the hill country girl.

And though she don't love me yet I will never regret
All my love for the hill country girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment