Wednesday, August 10, 2022

The Stone of Scone / Jacob's Pillow

For years I have been interested in the Stone of Jacob, and finally, I have taken the time to read about it and put it into some sort of order. I hope I have done the subject some justice. It is a long and somewhat confusing story, so if you spot any errors, please feel free to let me know... 

Although it may sound like a pastry, the Stone of Scone is an ancient symbol of Scottish sovereignty. According to legend, the sandstone slab was used by the biblical figure Jacob as a pillow when he dreamed of a ladder reaching to heaven and then brought to Scotland by way of Egypt, Spain and Ireland. In reality, geologists have determined that it really comes from Scotland. 

The Stone of Scone is also known as the Stone of Destiny, Jacob's Pillow, the Hebrews' Sacred Stone and the Lia Fáil. It is the great stone upon which the Kings of Scotland, including Constantine III in 995 and Macbeth in 1040, were  crowned. It has been used in every English Coronation since then.

The Stone of Scone was last used in 1953 for the coronation of Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The red sandstone block was originally kept at the now-ruined Scone Abbey in Perthshire. The stone was brought back to Scotland in 1996 and is currently displayed at Edinburgh Castle. What the removal of the Stone back to Scotland will mean for Elizabeth's successor is unclear.

The Stone of Destiny is an ancient symbol of Scotland's monarchy, used for centuries in the Coronation of its kings. Revered as a sacred object, it's origins are really unknown. In 1296, King Edward I of England seized the stone from the Scots, and had it built into a new throne at Westminster and later placed under the Coronation Chair. 

This large panel, apparently intended for a ceiling, was done by the painter, architect, and author Giorgio Vasari in 1558. It is housed at the Walthers Art Gallery in Baltimore and tells the story of Jacob and the Stone.

In the Old Testament book of Genesis, on his way to Haran, Jacob lay down in the wilderness to sleep, resting his head on a stone. He dreamed of Angels ascending and descending a stairway, or ladder, to heaven. God then appeared and blessed Jacob and his descendants. 

Bethel, where Jacob had his dream, was an ancient city of Palestine, located just north of Jerusalem, in present day Turkey. Bethel was important in Old Testament times and was frequently associated with Abraham and Jacob.

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it." He was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven." Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. He renamed the city of Luz as present day Bethel.

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."

— Genesis 28:16–22, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment