Saturday, May 2, 2020

Rocky


My world is pretty small these days. Still, I manage to have some amazing things happen to me in this reduced sphere. Take the squirrels as an example.

We moved in here 1 year ago this week. In that  time we've  had deer and all kinds of birds. Then came the squirrels. And of course I have to feed them. And then I need to have one eat from my hand, Central Park style. It took over 8 months but I did it.

One now eats from my hand daily. Just wraps his lips around the peanut and we both let go at the same time. He doesn't tug at all, and never uses his teeth. It's a wonderful feeling of connection as we look right into one another's eyes. They don't  carry rabies so you're risking only a nip.

Now that was cool enough but today he slipped and his paw touched my finger as he got his nut, and we both just looked at one another and then he left. Came back about 4 PM and this time I held my finger out and he took it while he got the nut. It's such a cool feeling because these ain't New York squirrells. Such a light  touch, I can see how he gets around so quickly. Pretty cool , huh?

Sue was there and almost got a picture. We'll keep trying!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, it’s debbie from Brooklyn. Glad I found your writing. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never check this except about 2x a month. Glad you found the place. Gotta crap, but some real gems among them. The Old Black Guy is pretty good. This place still gets about 1500 visitors each week. Let me know if you get a notice about this reply.....see you at the other place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's supposed to say, "Lotta crap....." 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie Nutig (Piehler)July 21, 2020 at 7:48 PM

    do you remember me? Joe Hickey's girlfriend, debbie nutig. I saw your post about 2132 Ocean Avenue. I have some of those original photos. if you want to catch up I'm at debbiepiehler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete